A lot of authors are daunted by writing a sequel. I was dubious about writing a series to start with, because it takes a lot of stamina to sustain momentum across several installments of a greater plot. I knew going into Alpha, the second book of The Scattered Dark Series, the challenges that would be ahead, and… I wrote it anyway! Yet, there are notable sequels in series—some of which are even better than the first installment.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- The Bewitchments of Love and Hate by Storm Constantine
- Spiritwalk by Charles de Lint
- Beauty’s Release by A. N. Roquelaure
- The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- Prime by Poppy Z. Brite
- Death, the High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman
- The Voyage of the Dawn Trader by C. S. Lewis
- The Tale of the Boy Thief by Anne Rice
What are some of your favorite sequels?